Tuesday 23 April 2013

The end of sleep?

This is a really interesting article about whether we can reduce the amount of time we need to sleep by the use of medications and control devices.

I find it an interesting debate.

In some ways spending 8 hours each day being effectively unconscious seems like a waste of time. So if we can reduce that time, then why not?

Then the other part of me kicks in thinking that if this is what has successfully lead human beings through thousands of years of evolution, why tinker with it?

Presently scientists do not fully understand why we sleep. They know we need it and the effects that happen if we don't sleep but not actually why we do it. This seems strange, especially in the modern world where technology and science are teaching us so much about our world and our bodies.

I love sleep, the getting ready for bed, feeling comfy and all tucked up, drifting of to sleep and the bizzare thoughts that go through my mind, the dreams and then waking - still feeling warm and comfortable in bed. As an ex insomniac I also know the side effects of not getting enough sleep - both the physical and the mental ones. It would concern me that if we all started reducing our sleep and relied on medication etc to counter the side effects - what the long term effects on our bodies would be.

After just one night of poor sleep I find myself being grumpy and irritable, taking things out on people when it is not their fault, poor decision making, eating more and exercising less. The long term effects are even more debilitating. It sounds great that the ideas mentioned in the article could help reduce these effects (and it opens the interesting possibility of how could these be put to use to help insomniacs) but how long for?
So far they seem to have useful temporary uses, but what would the long term effect of these be? This is one medical trial that I would be reluctant to put myself forward for. I have spent the last couple of years getting my health, fitness and energy levels back on track and would not want to jeopardize them.

One of the major things I find sad, is this modern belief that by sleeping we are wasting our time, when in fact sleep helps us make the most of the time we have, to live it more fully, be more productive and active each day. The modern lifestyle seems intent on reducing the importance and the time we spend asleep - the initial thoughts that technology would make our lives simpler and easier, allowing for more downtime, has in-fact been shown to be untrue and people are now connected 24/7, checking work emails before bed and when on holiday etc.
My life has been transformed since sleeping properly and maybe it is the people who have poor sleep patterns that fully understand the importance of sleep, rather than those who fall asleep easily and think nothing of it, who feel that we can reduce it or go without it.

It will be interesting to see where the research goes to reduce the need for sleep or to actively encourage it? In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my sleep all 8 hours of it.

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment